Putting the groceries in the backseat, I climbed into the car and left the parking lot. As I inched toward the road I heard a soft hissing sound that quickly escalated into a loud pop followed by a louder hiss. Oh no! The soda I put in the back seat had just exploded!
May is Mental Health Month. If we want to be mentally healthy, we need to get regular mental health check-ups much like we get annual physicals. When we fail to do so, we tend to suppress our feelings and we later explode over the little things, much like the 2-liter coke did in my car today.
How do we get a mental health check up? There are several ways of doing this:
1. Meet with a mentor and discuss your strengths and growth areas as an individual.
2. See a therapist or other mental health professional to process hurts you may have experienced throughout the year.
3. Talk to a pastor about ways to improve your spiritual health and thus improve your mental health.
4. Read a book about an area in which you’d like to grow healthier emotionally.
5. Laugh. This is by far my favorite one. Watch a funny movie. Go to a comedy club. Hang out with friends. Do something that brings you joy. Relax and LAUGH.
What are you willing to do this month to improve your mental health?